Webinar Available for this course
Live interactive webinar and onsite face to face training available for this course This course is now being delivered to groups via live interactive webinar as well as onsite face to face and will be delivered by our professional and qualified educators. If you require further information, please complete the booking enquiry form on this page or call 01242 371 999
Managers, team leaders, support workers who work with young people.
Self-harm in young people is often understood to be a physical response to emotional pain of some kind, and can be extremely addictive. Some self harm behaviours in young people are quite well known, such as cutting, burning or pinching, but there are many, many ways to injure oneself , including abusing drugs and alcohol or having an eating disorder.Info & Booking Enquiry
Everyone has accidents from time to time resulting in cuts, scratches and bruises – but it’s the injuries that are caused on purpose that are considered to be acts of self-harm. Self-harm often happens during times of distress, anger, fear, worry, depression or low self-esteem in order to manage or control negative feelings.
This self harm training is taught onsite for groups of up to fifteen students.
- Children’s Home Quality Standards and Children’s Homes Regulations (England) 2015)
- What is self harm
- Working with young people
- Keys for Helping
- Why do teenagers and children self harm including:
- Childhood Experiences
- What can we do to help!
- Offering emotional support
- Helping young people to build their confidence
- Types of self harm
- Concepts of self harm
- Causes of self harm
- Situations for discussion
- Risk Management
Suicide Awareness and Ligature Awareness Course Content (Afternoon Session)
By the end of the course, attendees should have a better understanding of company policies, procedures and guidelines relating to ligatures. Learners will also gain practical knowledge and skills to enable them to safely and securely rescue an individual who has ligatured using a range of Ligature Cutters.
- Suicide Statistics (National Confidential Inquiry into Suicide and Homicide by People with Mental Illness. Annual Report 2020)
- Why do people attempt and sometimes complete suicide
- We will explore ligature risk assessments and discuss environmental risk assessments.
- Know the importance of the review process.
- Review the organisation’s current policy, process and procedures on the use of the cutters.
- Explore ligature risk assessments and environmental risk assessments.
- Explore anti ligature devices
- Identify types of ligatures and ligature points.
- Implementing control measures
- Recognise and describe the signs and symptoms of ligature injuries.
- Management of the ligatured person
- Personal risk assessment and approach
- Demonstrate the safe removal of ligatures using cutters.
- Demonstrate safe removal from suspension.
- Describe how to safely store, maintain, dispose and replace cutters.
- Discuss First Aid Actions following strangulation or attempted strangulation.
- Use of the ligature knife demonstration and practical ligature cutting exercise including:
- Safe removal of ligature using a range of ligature cutters
- Safe removal from Suspension
- Safe storage of ligature cutters
Course Assessment and Certification
Those learners who complete the course and are deemed to have reached the required standard will be awarded a certificate of attendance which is valid for three years.
This course is often booked with the following courses:
- First Aid After Ligature
- Mental Health Awareness Training
- Self Harm Awareness Training
- Self Harm Awareness and Ligature Training
- Suicide Prevention Training (Hosting Suicidal Conversation with Empathetic and Compassionate Responses)
- Mental Health Awareness
Onsite Training Locations
Tidal Training provide onsite face to face healthcare training to large and small organisations across the United Kingdom. Our tutors will travel to your workplace or choice of venue and deliver training at a time and date which fits in with your organisation’s work commitments. If you require training outside of normal working hours we will be more than happy to support you. Our clients do not have to pay for mileage or any other added extras.
Information & Pricing
Make an Enquiry
Use the form below to contact us today for more information on our courses and to get a free no obligation quote. We'll respond within 2 hours (usually sooner).
Prefer to Talk?
Talk to our team of experts for more info and pricing.
- Brighton and Hove
- Kingston upon Hull
- City of London
- Newcastle upon Tyne
- St Albans
- St Davids
- Wherever you are!