Webinar Available for this course
Live interactive webinar and onsite face to face training available for this course This course is now being delivered to groups via live interactive webinar as well as onsite face to face and will be delivered by our professional and qualified educators. If you require further information, please complete the booking enquiry form on this page or call 01242 371 999
This Mental Capacity Act & Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (MCA & DOLS) course provides a background into the Mental Capacity Act and its relationship to DOLS.
The Mental Capacity Act (MCA) came into force in 2005 and was the then followed by The Deprivation of Liberties Safeguards (DOLS in 2009).Info & Booking Enquiry
We explore how (MCA & DOLS) work together within the healthcare sector. Training your staff with the essential tools ensures that they are working in a compliant way whilst gaining consent and working within the best interests of those in their care.
Target Audience: The course is suitable for all levels of support staff.
- Practical approaches to the use of the principles
- How to assess capacity
- Best interest decision making
- Recording for the MCA
- Understanding your role under the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
- Why DOLS is needed
- Lawful deprivation of liberty
- The assessment process required for assessing both mental capacity and the authorisation for deprivation of liberty
- What constitutes a deprivation of liberty and how it is likely to occur
- How the assessment process works
- What to do if you suspect there is a deprivation of liberty
By the end of this course students should be able to:
- Identify the key provisions in this new legislation and apply them directly to their professional roles
- Promote the well-being of those who lack capacity within a positive rights-based perspective
- Recognise the best practice approaches to decision making in the lives of those who lack capacity in your care
- Determine concepts such as capacity, consent, best interests and apply these to their work with users of health and social care services.
Course Assessment and Certification
Assessment: There is no formal assessment although the trainer will check understanding and involvement of all students throughout the duration of the course.
Certification: On successful completion of the course students will receive a certificate of attendance which is valid for 3 years.
This course is also delivered on one of our “Excellence in Care” Series open courses in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.
Click the logo below to find out more
This course is often booked with the following courses:
- Safeguarding of Vulnerable Children
- Safeguarding of Vulnerable Adults
- Learning Disability
- Professional Boundaries
Onsite Training Locations
Tidal Training provide onsite face to face healthcare training to large and small organisations across the United Kingdom. Our tutors will travel to your workplace or choice of venue and deliver training at a time and date which fits in with your organisation’s work commitments. If you require training outside of normal working hours we will be more than happy to support you. Our clients do not have to pay for mileage or any other added extras.
Information & Pricing
Make an Enquiry
Use the form below to contact us today for more information on our courses and to get a free no obligation quote. We'll respond within 2 hours (usually sooner).
Prefer to Talk?
Talk to our team of experts for more info and pricing.
- Brighton and Hove
- Kingston upon Hull
- City of London
- Newcastle upon Tyne
- St Albans
- St Davids
- Wherever you are!