Webinar Available for this course
Live interactive webinar and onsite face to face training available for this course This course is now being delivered to groups via live interactive webinar as well as onsite face to face and will be delivered by our professional and qualified educators. If you require further information, please complete the booking enquiry form on this page or call 01242 371 999
Administration of Controlled Drugs in care homes, community settings and any other care setting should only be carried out by trainer and competent staff. This Administration of Controlled Drugs course is essential for all staff involved in the administration and management of such drugs. We will teach staff how to manage and administer controlled drugs in line with legal requirements and national best practice (NICE guidelines). Learners administering controlled drugs should have received previous training in medication level 1 and level 2.Info & Booking Enquiry
Administration of Controlled Drugs course is aimed at managers, nurses and care support workers in nursing homes, residential homes, rehabilitation centres, substance misuse centres, hospices, specialist schools and any other healthcare and educational establishments.
- Legal and professional responsibilities and the implications of accountability when administering controlled drugs.
- Awareness of the legislation, guidelines and risk assessments that govern the management of controlled drugs.
- Principles of safe drug administration.
- Importance of safe administering of controlled drugs.
- Documentation and patient/client consent.
- Principles of managing, recording and reporting medication errors.
- Ensure controlled drugs safe custody by recording in the controlled drugs register and the role and requirements of the witness.
- Correctly record the receipt of controlled drugs.
- Demonstrate how to record the administration of a controlled drug on a medicines administration record chart and in the controlled drugs register.
- Explain how to perform a controlled drugs balance check and how to record it.
- Common abbreviations used on prescriptions.
- Explain how to safely dispose of controlled drugs and how to record it.
- Understand what rules apply and what records need to be kept when a person self-medicates.
- Practical session to build confidence and competency to dispense medication.
Administration of Controlled Drugs Certification:
On successful completion of the course a certificate of completion will be awarded. Live competencies should be gained in the workplace within 6 months of the course completion.
Classroom Scenario Competency Assessments
Tidal Training is now able to bridge the gap between directed learning and competency-based practice. As an addition to the course you select, we can deliver an addon session of simulated classroom-based scenarios to enhance your manual dexterity and build up your confidence as you start your competency journey. This practical session will supplement the directed training you have already had and prepare you better for competency-based assessment in the workplace. We will provide each delegate with a competency workbook which they can take back to their place of work following the course.
Please speak to one of the team for more information.
This course is often booked with the following courses:
- Safe Handling and Administration of Medication Training
- Phlebotomy/Venepuncture Training
- Recognising The Deteriorating Patient
- Syringe Driver Training
- Defensible Documentation Training
Onsite Training Locations
Tidal Training provide onsite face to face healthcare training to large and small organisations across the United Kingdom. Our tutors will travel to your workplace or choice of venue and deliver training at a time and date which fits in with your organisation’s work commitments. If you require training outside of normal working hours we will be more than happy to support you. Our clients do not have to pay for mileage or any other added extras.
Information & Pricing
Make an Enquiry
Use the form below to contact us today for more information on our courses and to get a free no obligation quote. We'll respond within 2 hours (usually sooner).
Prefer to Talk?
Talk to our team of experts for more info and pricing.
- Brighton and Hove
- Kingston upon Hull
- City of London
- Newcastle upon Tyne
- St Albans
- St Davids
- Wherever you are!