This Administration of Controlled Drugs course is essential for all staff involved in the administration and management of controlled drugs. We will teach staff how to manage and administer controlled drugs in line with legal requirements and national best practice (NICE guidelines).
The course is designed to update professional responsibilities and accountability in the safe administration and management of controlled drugs. We can tailor the course to incorporate your organisation’s policies and procedures.Info & Booking Enquiry
- Legal and professional responsibilities and the implications of accountability when administering drugs
- Be aware of the legislation and best practice documents that govern the management of controlled drugs
- Principles of safe drug administration
- Importance of safe administration of controlled drugs
- Documentation and consent
- Principles of managing, recording and reporting medication errors
- Demonstrate how to establish which controlled drugs require safe custody, recording in the controlled drugs register and the role and requirements of the witness
- Demonstrate how to correctly record the receipt of controlled drugs
- Demonstrate how to record the administration of a controlled drug on a medicines administration record chart and in the controlled drugs register
- Explain how to perform a controlled drugs balance check and how to record it
- Common abbreviations used on prescriptions
- Explain how to safely dispose of controlled drugs and how to record this
- Understand what rules apply and what records need to be kept when a person self-medicates
- Practical session to build confidence and competency to dispense medication
Administration of Controlled Drugs course is aimed at managers, nurses and care support workers in nursing homes, residential homes, rehabilitation centres, substance misuse centres, hospices, specialist schools and any other healthcare and educational establishments.
On successful completion of the course a certificate of completion will be awarded which is valid for 1 year. Live competencies should be gained in the workplace within 6 months of the course completion.
Onsite Training Locations
Tidal Training provide onsite face to face healthcare training to large and small group organisations and across the United Kingdom. Our tutors will travel to your workplace or choice of venue and deliver training at a time and date which fits in with your organisations work commitments. If you require training outside of normal working hours we will be more than happy to support you.
Information & Pricing
Make an Enquiry
Use the form below to contact us today for more information on our courses and to get a free no obligation quote. We'll respond within 2 hours (usually sooner).
Prefer to Talk?
Talk to our team of experts for more info and pricing.
- Brighton and Hove
- Kingston upon Hull
- City of London
- Newcastle upon Tyne
- St Albans
- St Davids
- Wherever you are!