Our Challenging Behaviour Awareness and Breakaway Techniques training is designed to give health and social care staff more of an understanding into Challenging Behaviour, how to assess the level of threat and level of response by using the minimum degree of force to breakaway whilst ensuring their safety and the safety of the service user.Info & Booking Enquiry
Students will benefit from having knowledge of how to recognise signs and symptoms of challenging behaviour within their working environment, identify causes and deal with situations using simple interventions to diffuse difficult and potentially volatile situations.
Challenging Behaviour Course Content:
- Theories and function of behaviour
- Why do people behave as they do?
- What actually is ‘challenging’ behaviour?
- How to motivate individuals to change behaviour
- Preventing challenging behaviour
- Strategies for managing challenging behaviour
- Challenging our own assumptions about people and their behaviour
- To highlight the need for vigilance when working with clients with challenging behaviour
- Define challenging behaviour
- Follow guidelines in the workplace dealing with challenging behaviour
- Defusing and De-escalation techniques
- Work safely with service users who show signs of challenging behaviour
Breakaway Techniques Course Content:
Your body – where it hurts – How to recognise the obvious and not-so-obvious places where you can be attacked.
The client’s body – where it should be – How to keep a safe distance between you and the client, and what you can do when physical contact is required. The basic breakaway strategy – What is the simplest thing you can do to breakaway from an assault?
- The importance of the spoken word.
- The importance of disengagement.
- The importance of situational awareness – People; Places; Furniture.
- Common assaults and breakaway methods including –
- Wrist Grab Single / Double Handed
- Wrist Grab Scissor Release
- Hair Grasp (Front) Level
- Clothing Grabs Level
- Sleeve Grabs
- Strangle – Open Area
- Strangle – Against the Wall – Weave Technique
- Hair Grasp Rear (1 Hand)
- Pony Tail Release
- Hair Grasp Rear (2 Hand)
Course Assessment and Certification
There will be continuous tutor assessment, there is no final examination.
Those students who complete the course and are deemed to have reached the required standard will be awarded a certificate completion.
Onsite Training Locations
Tidal Training provide onsite face to face healthcare training to large and small organisations across the United Kingdom. Our tutors will travel to your workplace or choice of venue and deliver training at a time and date which fits in with your organisation’s work commitments. If you require training outside of normal working hours we will be more than happy to support you. Our clients do not have to pay for mileage or any other added extras.
Information & Pricing
Make an Enquiry
Use the form below to contact us today for more information on our courses and to get a free no obligation quote. We'll respond within 2 hours (usually sooner).
Prefer to Talk?
Talk to our team of experts for more info and pricing.
- Brighton and Hove
- Kingston upon Hull
- City of London
- Newcastle upon Tyne
- St Albans
- St Davids
- Wherever you are!